The first presidential debate between Joe Biden and Trump promised to be a debate to remember. If only because the contrast in persona and personalities was so stark. What would happen once they both shared a stage at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland was certainly difficult to predict.
Here’s what we learned in real time.
- The introduction of the Trump and Biden families offered an immediate contrast, with Ivanka and Tiffany strutting in designer clothes and Jill Biden and her daughter coming in a more modest presentation. And then, after everyone was seated Melania strutted in and the Trump family rose…here we go.
- Trump begins in attack dog mode – bullying, interrupting and breaking all of the rule that had been agreed to….
- If this were a boxing match Biden begins on the ropes taking haymakers and trying to laugh off Trump……………. not working
- The early take away is that Trump is doing a bull in a china shop routine – clearly he is the King of Chaos
- By the 30-minute mark Trump is starting to lose steam and waver and melt a bit
- Nevertheless, Trump is proving that bullying can work if you keep on bullying
- And now…. here comes the Trump Tax Question and Trump duck and dodges and absolutely does not answer
- And, by the way, Chris Wallace is the worst moderator in the history of presidential debates…if he were a referee in a boxing match Trump would be dead
- Now it is 43 minutes to go – no minds are being changed but Biden supporters are confirmed in their choice
- 32 minutes to go and I am already dreading the next debate
- And now…here we go – Trump is criticizing critical race theory as not being American – one can only hope that he will keep talking
- It is now confirmed…Chris Wallace is the horrible…the absolute worse moderator in the history of moderators
- Biden is speaking about his soldier son Beau and commenting on Trump’s “loser, sucker” references to soldiers and Trump flip to Hunter Biden. Not a good look for Trump…not that he cares.
- Once more, Chris Wallace may be the worst moderator in modern history. From tonight on the standard will be “at least he isn’t as bad as Chris Wallace”.
- 8 minutes to go and I think that I can make it if I think happy thoughts
- 6 minutes to go and Biden is running out of gas
- Good closing by Biden and Trump’s last rant helps Biden.